Construction & Contractors : Blocked drains
Easy Steps to Prevent Clogged Drains
Blocked drains can be a nightmare, and most people would have faced this unpleasant situation at some point. However, instead of worrying unduly about clearing clogged drains, it is a good idea to try and prevent blockages in the first place. There are some simple steps that a householder can take to, if not prevent, at least minimise the frequency of clogged drainage pipes.
Some tips for preventing frequent drain blockage include:
- Avoid flushing things down the toilet other than what it was made for, that is, human waste. Anything else will eventually cause some blockage eventually. Paper towels, baby wipes and similar objects should not be flushed. Teach children about the dangers of flushing objects down the toilet as well.
- Use a plug screen in your kitchen sink and bath/shower to catch particles that will get into the drain and clog it. In kitchen sinks, food parts are the biggest culprits. In the bathroom, the main cause of clogs is human hair. The situation is made even worse if you bathe your dogs in the bath. Nothing clogs showers faster than loose hair.
- Never pour grease and oil down the sink as this will eventually lead to all types of plumbing issues including blockages.
- To help keep shower and bath drains clear, make it a habit to brush your hair before washing it. This will remove a lot of loose hair reducing what gets into the drain.
One of the major ways to prevent clogged drains is to clean your drainage system often. This requires doing minor tasks such as:
- Lifting out drain stops and screens and cleaning up whatever has become trapped, such as hair in the bath or food pieces in the kitchen sink.
- Use a piece of wire to poke around and pull out anything that may have gotten into the drain such as small pieces of paper or hair
- Pour a quality drain cleaner down your drain at regular intervals to help keep it clear.
Two of the main sources of blocked drains in a home are the toilet and the kitchen sink. Sometimes, it is possible to clear these blockages yourself, although it may be necessary to call in a professional plumber. If blockages keep occurring after you have cleared it, it is important to let the professionals find the source of the problem for you.
It is also a good idea, even if you do not have frequent blockages of your drain system to have an annual maintenance done. The plumbers will identify any potential problems waiting to happen. In addition to locating objects that will eventually clog the plumbing system, damaged and rusting pipes will be found and repaired before they can cause major problems.